Quickbooks software is the top choice of entrepreneurs and company owners for handling all complex financial tasks easily. Despite being a top-rated software, it is not completely free from technical glitches and errors. There are certain issues like “Quickbooks Printer Not Activated Error Code 20” that stop users from performing their daily tasks properly.
Users come across this error when they try to upgrade from Windows XP/Vista to Windows 7 or above versions. This nagging error stops you from printing any form or document using Quickbooks.
After receiving this issue, you can’t publish any invoice or payslip neither can send them. These tasks are considered to be crucial in any business and this error creates chaos for business owners.
To prevent such uninvited problems, we have piled up important facts about “Quickbooks Printer Not Activated Error Code 20”, its causes, and correct troubleshooting techniques.
Triggers Causing Quickbooks Printer Not Activated Error Code 20
You get this uninvited error due to certain circumstances. The main reasons are listed below.
- Quickbooks is facing compatibility issues with Windows 10.
- You have outdated software.
- An old application key also causes “Printer Not Activated Error Code -20 Quickbooks.”
- Problems in registry files of windows.
- Invalid PDF converter’s configuration.
- Unsupported printer drivers
- Outdated windows OS.
- Wrong Quickbooks installation.
Important Pointers to Remember Before Repairing – Quickbooks Error Code 20 Printer Not Activated
Before you apply any fixation step, it is crucial to keep some important points in your mind to avoid any uninvited trouble.
Make a Registry Backup
First of all, ensure a registry backup. For that, navigate to the Registry Editor and then hit the tab on “Computer.”
- Then, you need to select “File” and click on “Export.”
- At last, tap on the “Save” option to conclude the step.
Making A System Restore Point
This step is for Windows 10, Seven, Windows Vista/ and Windows 8.
- Confirm that you have the latest Quickbooks version installed.
- Don’t log in as a guest, always log in as windows admin.
- If you have two QB versions on the OS, then verify that both are in separate installation directories.
- You need to install the 32-bit version of Windows in case you are Windows XP or Vista user.
Swapping the Directory
Some points to note before changing the directory:
- Make a backup the moment you do any change in the registry. In case, you are unable to repair the issue with the swapped registry, in such a situation you can use the previous registry.
- To handle any other complexities, make a system recovery point.
Closing the Final Draft
For closing the final draft, check these steps:
- For Windows 8 or Above:
- Firstly, tap on “Start.”
- After that, click the cursor on “Final Draft9/8.”
- Then, click “Run as Admin.”
- For Windows 7/Vista Users:
- To begin with, tap on “Start.”
- Then, select “Programs.”
- After that, click “Final draft 9/8”′ and choose “Run as Admin.”
- In the end, save your documents in PDF format.
Repairing Quickbooks Printer Not Activated Error Code 20
You can handle this troublesome error using the most reliable techniques mentioned below. Let’s check them one by one.
Method 1: Setting the Default Printer
- Firstly, tap on “Start”.
- Write “Control” in the vacant search area.
- Now tap on “Control Panel”.
- After that, tap on “Hardware and Sound”.
- Then choose “Devices and Printers”.
- Now, right-tap on your printer followed by choosing “Set as Default Printer”.
- Restart the system to save all changes.
Method 2: Uninstalling and Reinstalling Quickbooks
This is an efficient technique to repair “Quickbooks Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 Windows 10.” When you update software, you get more advanced tools, features, error fixes that make the software run smoothly. The steps to uninstall and reinstall are:
- First of all, close QuickBooks.
- Then, hold Windows+R.
- It will access the run box where you need to type “Control Panel”.
- Choose “Programs.”
- There, hit “Programs and Features.”
- The next step is tapping on QuickBooks and after that clicking on “Uninstall.”
- Now, click “Yes” if asked.
- Hit “Next” one more time and select “Remove”.
- After performing the above step, the software will get removed.
- At last, hit “Finish.”
Note: Before reinstalling the QB software, note down your Quickbooks Product & license number.
- The first step is uninstalling the software after clicking on the “Control Panel” option.
- The second step is downloading QuickBooks via the Internet or a CD.
- After that, install Quickbooks using normal mode.
- Going further, write Product & License Number in the box.
- After you mention the unique codes, your QB software will be activated.
- In the end, open QBs and your files to resume the remaining tasks.
Reinstalling QuickBooks via Clean Install
The QuickBooks clean install tool helps users renaming the previous installation folders allowing the software to include more files. The steps are”
- Begin the process of downloading Clean Install from Intuit website.
- Then, you need to save it in an accessible location.
- After that, tap on “Yes” if asked.
- The following step is approving the “License agreement” by tapping on “I Agree/OK”.
- Now, select the software with the right product version.
- Hit “Continue.”
- In the end, tap on “OK.”
Method 3: Customizing Windows Print Spooler Service
- Firstly, hold “Windows + R”.
- Write “Services. MSC” there in the run window.
- Hit “Enter.”
- Under “Services”, locate “Print Spooler Service.”
- Choose “Properties” and hit “Stop Print Spooler Service.”
- After that, choose the “Automatic option.”
- Now, tap on “Print Spooler” one more time and choose “Start.”
- At last, “Save a PDF” or you can also print something to see if the “Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 Quickbooks” is finally resolved.
Method 4: Allowing Permission through Registry Editor To Update The Registry Key
- For this step, you have to open “Registry Editor.”
- Press Windows + R, this step will open a Run window.
- There, you have to write “Regedit” and hit enter.
- Then, right-tap on the “Regedit” option followed by choosing “Run as Administrator.”
- Locate “HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG” for accessing the registry editor.
- Right-tap on the software’s folder name and choose the permission.
- Confirm that you are having complete/full access control.
- In the end, hit “OK” and close the window and “Registry Editor” as well.
Once you finish the above actions, the QB software will receive permissions to the printer as well as all keys.
Method 5: Reinstalling USB Composite Device
- Firstly, hold “Windows + R”, it will open the run window.
- There, you have to write “Devmgmt. MSC”.
- Hit Enter.
- Stretch “Universal Serial Controllers.”
- After that, right-tap on “USB Composite Device” and choose “Uninstall”.
- Select Yes/OK, when asked.
- Then you have to detach the Printer USB from your computer and again connect it.
- The next step is following the onscreen instructions to install all drivers.
- Now, right-tap on “Printer” and hit “Print Test Page” for printing a test page.
- In the end, restart the computer to save all the changes.
Method 6: Disable UAC
Ceasing the User Access Control from tracking any windows or application is a useful step in fixing printer not activated error code 20 Quickbooks & sometimes for QuickBooks Script Error. The steps are:
- Hold “Windows + R.”
- Write “Control Panel” in the “Run” window.
- After that, hit “OK.”
- Then, click “User accounts” under the “Control Panel.”
- Going further, hit the tab on “Change UAC settings.”
- Now, you need to tick “Never to Notify.”
- At last, hit “OK” and reboot the PC.
Method 7: Fixing Microsoft Document Writer
The feature of Microsoft Document writer enables users in printing files. This preinstalled Windows component assists Windows to enable QuickBooks to save all information in PDF format. For fixing Microsoft document writer, follow these steps:
- To begin with, right-tap on the “QB icon” followed by choosing “Open File Location.”
- Then, visit “Temp Folder.”
- After that, find and click twice on “Exe File.”
- In the next step, you have to finish the installation process.
- Now “Open QuickBooks” to register the license.
- Going ahead, if you come across any problem during the process of installing “ABS PDF driver” then install it one more time.
- At last, print again and determine if the “Printer not activated error code -20 Quickbooks” is finally repaired.
Method 8: Using QuickBooks Print Repair Tool
This is the last but effective troubleshooting technique to repair Quickbooks error code 20 printer not activated. This method involved using QuickBooks Print Repair Tool which can be downloaded from the QB Tool Hub. The instructional steps are:
- Open Quickbooks Tool Hub and download the QuickBooks PDF Print Repair from there.
- Then, run the tool via administrator mode.
- After that, this tool will start to run and you will witness a red background. Then, you have to verify that the QB is updated.
- Going further, you have to check if the printer is using Quickbooks only to print or not.
- Once you run the tool, you will get a message/prompt to restart your PC.
- At last, check that there are no apps left open while running the tool.
This is all, you need to know about QuickBooks printer not activated error code 20. This informative post not only tells you the causes behind this error but also the proven techniques to fix it. These solutions are easy to understand and apply.
However, if you face any difficulty while completing any step then contacting Quickbooks Customer Support would be best. The dedicated team is 24*7 available to resolve all kinds of queries related to Quickbooks.
We hope that this article is sufficient to resolve the nagging error you are facing. If you have any thoughts or tips then do write them down in the comments section to inspire us.