Quickbooks Windows Error The File Exists: Guaranteed Methods To FIX
Quickbooks is one of the powerful tools that perform all accounting and bookkeeping functions at your fingertips. Despite the incredible features that Quickbooks financial software offers, it is quite common to encounter some technical errors in it. One such nuisance error is the “Quickbooks Error The File Exists” which stops users from performing their crucial business tasks.
You encounter this error while performing functions like paying scheduled liabilities, downloading payroll updates, and while accessing a federal or state form. This issue makes your screen show an error code message that reads- “The file can’t be opened. Confirm if it is not used by another program/application or a read-only file.
This error is daunting as well as time-consuming. So, you must repair this error before it starts harming your system and other files.
This informative write-up includes all about Quickbooks Error The File Exists, its causes, signs to spot it, and guaranteed troubleshooting techniques. Let’s get started.
Quickbooks Windows Error the File Exists: Description
Before exploring the troubleshooting methods, you should know what exactly “Quickbooks Error Message the File Exists” is.
You can get this nuisance error while performing various tasks such as paying liabilities, accessing a federal/state form while downloading/installing payroll updates, during printing forms via Quickbooks.
Not only this, this technical issue covers your screen with many error code messages which stop you from proceeding with your tasks. This daunting error can cause a huge blunder to your work and hamper your business growth. So, fixing it immediately should be the priority.
We will discuss all these aspects one by one in this post. Now, let’s move to the causes that lead to this error.
Factors Causing- The Windows Error Was the File Exists Quickbooks
This nagging error doesn’t just pop out casually. Numerous reasons give birth to it. When you understand the root causes then you can easily apply the correct solution and avoid this daunting error in the future as well.
- Poor Internet connection is the major reason behind this error.
- Internet security settings are improperly configured.
- Outdated QuickBooks file also causes “QuickBooks The Windows Error Was The File Exists”.
- Outdated/Improper Firewall.
- User Account Control (UAC) is interrupting QuickBooks.
- Improper QuickBooks Installation.
- You don’t own complete admin rights.
- There is a chance that your antivirus or old Windows operating system is isolating some important data files of QuickBooks.
After reading the causes, you might have got a clear idea about what to avoid to prevent this error. Now, it’s time to move on to the troubleshooting part.
Quickbooks Error The File Exists: Guaranteed Methods To FIX
In this informative blog, we have carefully gathered the most reliable solutions to repair Quickbooks Error The File Exists. Let’s apply these methods one by one.
Method 1: Use QuickBooks Tool Hub
This powerful tool acts as a defense against numerous Quickbooks errors. It contains various tools that deal with each error separately and automatically fix them. The steps are:
- First of all, exit from QuickBooks.
- Then, visit Intuit site and download the Tool Hub (Latest Version).
- Now, tap on the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file (In the download section).
- The following step is to install it by obeying the instructions popping on your screen.
- Mark on “I agree” to approve the check box of “Terms and conditions.”
- After finishing the installation, you will find the icon of QuickBooks Tool Hub on your desktop.
Running Quick Fix My Program
- Select Program Problems inside the Tools Hub.
- Now, choose “Quick Fix my Program”.
- At last, start QuickBooks and open the file.
Method 2: In Windows Settings, Disable UAC
You have to verify that UAC is disabled. In case it is not, then check these steps to cease it.
- First of all, navigate to “Windows Settings”.
- After that, look for the UAC option.
- If you see the option marked as enabled then just turn it off.
- After ceasing it, reboot the PC and verify that the error is no more bothering you.
Method 3: Checking Internet Connectivity
Check if your Internet connection is functioning properly, and there are zero dropped Internet packets:
- Firstly, open “Internet Explorer” and open any domain, for example- QuickBooks.com.
- If you successfully open the domain then check that the security settings of your Internet are not blocking QB to connect with the main server.
- You have to check the network’s latency by verifying that don’t have any dropped Internet plans.
- Confirm that SSL settings aren’t flawed.
- Always remember to set up IE as your default browser.
Method 4: Check for QuickBooks Updates
Sometimes using an outdated version of Quickbooks gives birth to “Quickbooks Error The File Exists.” To enjoy more features and tools of the software, you must update it from time to time. You can follow these steps to check the availability of QB’s recent updates.
- Firstly, open QuickBooks and navigate to “Help”.
- Now, you need to tap on “Update QuickBooks”.
- After that, come to the “Update Now” option followed by choosing “Get Updates”.
- After downloading the updates (If available), you need to restart QB and tap on “Install Now”.
- After installing the updates, repeat this action one more time and verify if the issue is repaired.
Method 5: Running QB as an Administrator
QuickBooks software needs admin rights to complete various tasks such as installing the newest update. To run the software as the admin, follow these steps:
- Firstly, tap on Windows/Start.
- Within the blank area of search write “QuickBooks.”
- In the results, you will locate QuickBooks. Just right-tap on the QB version and choose the option “Run as Administrator.”
Method 6: Allowing Compete User Control Access
You can operate windows with various user accounts having numerous privileges. On Windows, Quickbooks requires full user control access to folders and files to function correctly. To perform this, follow these steps:
- Firstly, on your desktop, right-tap on the QB icon and select “Open File Location”.
- Hit “Backspace” or the “Backward Arrow” which is at the top-left. This will take you to the root folder.
- Now, you need to right-tap on the “QuickBooks Folder” then select “Properties”.
- Tap on “Edit” and select “Add” inside the “Security”.
- Now, choose “Everyone and hit “OK”.
- After that, select “Full Control” and hit “Apply”.
- Going further, follow the similar instructions described above but select “User” instead of “Everyone” this time.
Method 7: Re-registering QB .DLL and .OCX File via Reboot.bat File
QB Reboot.bat automatically re-registers the crucial installation files and assists in fixing tough errors such as the “File Exists” error in QuickBooks. Follow these steps to solve the issue:
- Firstly, exit from the QuickBooks application.
- After that, right-tap on the “QB icon” present on the desktop and choose “Properties”.
- Then, tap on “Open File Location”.
- Now, locate the “Reboot.bat file” and make a right-tap on it. Then choose “Run as Administrator”.
- The next thing is to wait until the command prompt window goes through the QB files and gets closed automatically.
- In the end, restart windows and continue your pending tasks. and verify if the file exists error is resolved.
You Can Also Consider, Methods To Resolve Quickbooks Error 15271
Method 8: Repairing “The File Exists” Issue While Facing Printing Forms Problem
You can also witness “The File Exists” problems while printing a form via QB. Here, we would advise you to follow the instructions described below.
- Hold “Windows + R”.
- Write “Control” inside the search box. Hit “Enter”.
- Now, choose the option “Devices and Printers”.
- Then, right tap on “Device” and choose “Remove” for that particular printer on which you are encountering trouble.
- After that, exit from QB and access “Task Manager” by holding “CTRL + ALT + DEL” or directly from the taskbar.
- Find “QBW32.exe” inside the “Process” section and right-tap on it.
- Now, you need to end the process by clicking “Yes” if prompted.
- After completing the actions, visit “C drive >> Program Data >> Intuit >> QuickBooks (This path is for QB Premier users) or visit C: \ Users \ username \ AppData \ Roaming \ Intuit \ (QuickBooks_version) \ TSPrinterSettings \ (This path is for QB Enterprise users)
- Here, you have to find and remove the file – “QBPRINT.qbp.”
- In the end, just reboot your PC and give a test print to check if the problem is sorted.
To Wrap Up
These 8 troubleshooting techniques are sufficient to repair “Quickbooks Error The File Exists”. These methods include disabling UAC, updating Quickbooks, adjusting firewall settings, and many more. After applying these methods, you will not only fix the issue but your QB software will also work smoothly.
However, if you have more doubts then contacting the dedicated team of Quickbooks Support is beneficial. The experts are ready to help you every day and anytime. At last, we truly hope that this informative post helped you get rid of your concerned issue. If yes, then do write your thoughts in the comment section below to cheer us.