Fixing Quickbooks Error 77: Proven Solutions (Solved Guide)
Entrepreneurs and accounting professionals all around the world rely on Quickbooks software for managing the financial tasks of their companies. It contains an incredible range of tools and features that are simple to use and can be handled even with less technical knowledge. Despite the benefits, there are some errors like Quickbooks Error 77 that annoy users on several occasions.
QuickBooks Error 77 occurs mainly when there is a problem with the company file or if the software is unable to read the location of the path. It also implies that there could be damage in the software itself due to which the error is popping on your screen. You must fix it the moment you identify it to avoid any big damage to your system as well as your company.
To help you, we have carefully created this post to inform you in detail about Quickbooks Error 77, its causes, signs to identify, and proven fixation methods. But before that, let’s understand more about this error first.
Details of The Error: Error 77 Quickbooks
- Error name: Quickbooks Error Code 77
- Number: Error 77
- Interpretation: Error 77: QuickBooks has encountered an issue and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- Name of the Software: QuickBooks
- Developer: Intuit Inc.
Triggers of QuickBooks Error 77
You encounter this error due to many factors. After learning these factors you will avoid this error to take place in the near future and will apply correct solutions to fix it. Let’s explore the causes now:
- The company file is not placed on the system’s local drive.
- QuickBooks is accessed via multi-user mode.
- “Incorrect folder permission” for the folder having your company file.
- Incomplete installation of the Quickbooks software.
- Corrupt Windows Registry.
- Damaged Windows System File due to virus.
- Infected Quickbooks-related program.
- An important file might have got removed accidentally.
Reaction: All this will make Quickbooks files damaged or corrupt.
Fixing Quickbooks Error 77: Proven Solutions
Error 77 is complex and can confuse you a lot. But at the same time, you can tackle this problematic issue with our assistance. Just read all solutions below thoroughly and knock it out.
Solution 1: Renaming .TLG and .ND Files
Rewriting the.ND and .TLG extensions can help in the configuration of the files permitting the Quickbooks software to access the files via Multi-user mode. Let’s check out the instructions to do that:
- First of all, visit the folder and open it where the company file is kept.
- Find the files having a similar name to the company files with extensions-.TLG and .ND. For example- company_file.qbw.TLG and company_file.qbw.ND,
- Choose “.ND/.TLG” file, then right-tap on it followed by selecting “rename”.
- Write “.Old” at the end of your company filename and hit “Enter”.(For example: company_file.qbw.tlg.old and company_file.qbw.nd.OLD
Solution 2: Using Quickbooks File Doctor
This is the most powerful tool against numerous Quickbooks errors. Plus, it saves you both patience and time because it runs automatically. The steps to utilize QB file doctor are:
- First of all, visit Inuit’s site and begin downloading QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- After that, launch the QB tool hub.
- After opening it, navigate to the section “Company File Issues”.
- Now, you need to tap on a green wrench that is – “Run Quickbooks File Doctor”.
- After that, look for your company file with issues and tap on “Repair”.
- Once you do that, the tool will start diagnosing and rectifying the errors on its own. Also, you will be informed once the process is over.
Solution 3: Performing a Clean Install
The clean install tool assists users in eradicating all broken and corrupt company files. The steps are:
- Firstly, access “Quickbooks Tool Hub”.
- Then, visit the “Installation Issues” section.
- Going further, tap on the “Clean Install” tool.
- After that, a process of clean installation will start and you can resume your task.
You Might Also Like, Troubleshooting guide for Quickbooks Error 6129
Solution 4: Removing Spaces, Symbols, or Unique Characters from the Company File Name
You must remember the fact that when you include a space, symbol, or any special character in the filename then you may get QuickBooks error 77. So, you must remove them all by obeying the below-mentioned instructions.
- Firstly, exit QuickBooks on all workstations.
- Find your company file and right-tap on it.
- Going further, choose “Rename”.
- See if your file name contains any special characters or blank spaces in the filename. Just remove them.
- At last, open your QB company file and resume your remaining work.
Solution 5: Relocating the QB Company File
This nagging error also occurs when there is an issue with the file location. In such a situation, relocating your file is mainly advised. The steps for doing that are:
- Firstly, come to the location having your company file.
- Now right-tap on the company file and choose “Copy”.
- After that, go to the desktop and paste it.
- Now, open QuickBooks and tap on “File”.
- Choose “Open or Restore Company”.
- At last, just browse your company file.
Solution 6: Using UNC Path Rather Than Mapped Drive
- Firstly, right-tap on the QuickBooks icon, then hold the Ctrl key”.
- Choose “Run as Administrator”.
- Make sure to hold “Ctrl” until you see the “No Company Open” window on the screen.
Important: You need to hold the “Ctrl key“, as it will stop Quickbooks from opening a company file automatically.
- Navigate to “File” and choose “Open or Restore Company” followed by selecting “Open a Company File”. Then tap on “Next”.
- At last, click on “Network” settings, and visit your company file location.
Important: In case you are unable to find the folder having your company files then you have to set folder permissions.
To Wrap Up
These solutions are sufficient to efficiently fix Quickbooks error 77 from the root itself. Not only this, but by following these methods properly you can also prevent the same error to take place again.
These effective techniques are suggested by numerous Quickbooks experts but if you feel the need for more guidance then the support team of Quickbooks is always there for you. You can either dial their toll-free number or post a query on their email, they will properly analyze your issue and guide you.
With this, it’s time to end this informative post, but you can always stay in touch with us by commenting all your thoughts in the comments section.