Quickbooks Error 6073: Resolving It With The Best Techniques
Quickbooks software is packed with incredible features and tools that help professional accountants, bookkeepers, entrepreneurs to manage the financial tasks of their companies. Despite that, there are some technical bugs and glitches that stop this software from performing appropriately. One such nuisance glitch is QuickBooks Error 6073.
You get this error while trying to access the QB company file and it shows an error code message on the screen reading Quickbooks can’t open the file. The pop-up message also states that the file is opened in another system.
After getting this issue you can’t open your company files and find yourself helpless as you could not perform the daily tasks. This will not only affect your time but work productivity as well. Relax, this post will help you explore all facts about QuickBooks Error 6073 along with its reasons for occurrence, signs to identify it, and the best troubleshooting methods. But before that, let’s learn what exactly this error is.
Brief Into Quickbooks Error -6073
Error 6073 implies that there is another user who is trying to access your company file or has opened it already in another system. After your system catches this troublesome issue, it makes your screen flash an error code message stating- “Quickbooks is unable to open this company file”.
All your work gets stopped in between because this error directly affects the company files. Not only this, it lowers the computer’s performance and crashes the active window as well. As you can see, how badly this error can impact your system and work, the main question is why did it take place? Let’s learn the reasons behind Quickbooks 6073 error.
Factors Responsible for Quickbooks Error Code 6073
You must dig the reasons for an error before applying the fixation methods. If you are unaware of the causes behind an issue then there are chances that you might apply the wrong solutions to fix it. So, it is equally important to explore the root causes of error 6073. They are:
- The foremost reason is that your QB company file is being accessed by another user.
- You have accidentally kept your file in a read-only network folder.
- The files are stored on a Unix/Linux server.
- You tried to login into Quickbooks using many credentials causing Quickbooks error 6073 99001.
- The QB file is being accessed by a distant (remote) operating system or the host system is active or signed in already.
Steps To Knock Out Quickbooks Error 6073
Even a small technical glitch or bug can hamper your entire business operation. So never take any error lightly and fix it at the earliest. You can repair the error 6073 through the ways mentioned below.
Solution 1: Running Quickbooks File Doctor
The software company Intuit designed the doctor tool to help users fix the common errors that occur in QB. This tool removes bugs and other issues automatically with just one tap. The procedure to run it is:
- Visit Intuit site and start downloading “QuickBooks Tool Hub”.
- After that install it.
- Now, save it to an accessible folder.
- Then, go to downloads and tap on QuickBooksToolHUb.exe.
- The file will be opened and you will see some instructions on the screen. Follow them one by one to install the tool hub.
- Now, a license agreement will come up, just agree to it.
- After that, tap on Quickbooks Tool Hub to access it.
- In the tool, you need to click “Company Files issues”.
- There, tap on “Run QuickBooks File Doctor”.
- Inside the “File Doctor”, choose the company file or look for it using the browse option.
- Tap on “Continue” once you select your file.
- After that click “Repair” and the doctor tool will automatically start identifying and fixing the issue.
- Once you conclude the process, you will get a notification regarding it.
- At last, just check if you can easily open the company file or not.
Solution 2: Repairing Damaged Network Data File
You can complete this step by following the following instructions:
- Firstly, right-tap on “Start” and access “Windows Explorer”.
- After that, locate the folder having your QB company file.
- Right-tap on the file with an .ND and company file extension.
- After that, make some changes to the extensions of these files. You need to rename them to “.ndold” and press “Enter”.
- Now, just open the QB and the company file simultaneously.
- You will see that the software has already created an extra .ND file for the company file.
Solution 3: Checking the Hidden .ND and .TLG Files
In this step, you need to see if the transaction log (.TLG) and network data(.ND) files are hidden or not.
- Firstly, open “My Computer”.
- Navigate to the “Tools” tab and click on “Folder”.
- Then, reach out to the option “View”.
- Tap on “Show Hidden Files & Folders”.
- After that, access the Data folder to view the .TLG and .ND files.
- Going further, tap on “Network Data” files followed by choosing “Properties”.
- At last, delete the option hidden and tap on “OK”.
Solution 4: Fixing Quickbooks 6073 Error Manually
You can also tackle this annoying error manually by looking into certain situations where it occurs.
Situation 1: If Your QB Company File is Already Logged in Another Computer Using Single User Mode
- Firstly, exit Quickbooks on all systems.
- After that, access your company file on the host computer.
- Then, navigate to the tab “File”.
- Choose “Switch to Multi-User mode.”
- At last, reboot the PC.
Situation 2: If the Company File is Opened on the Host System using Single-user Mode
- Firstly, go to the option “File” and choose “Close Company”.
- Then access the company file.
- After that, you need to navigate to the “File” option and then click “Open or Restore Company”.
- Now, tap twice on the “Company file”.
- Hit “Next”.
- At last, access the QB company file via multi-user mode.
You Might Also Like, How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error Code 324?
Situation 3: If your QB Company File is Stored In Read-only Network Folder
- Firstly, open the system having your company file.
- After that, visit the folder containing the file,
- Now, right-tap on it followed by choosing “Properties”.
- Navigate to “Security”.
- Choose the specific “User” with login issues.
- Tap on “Edit” and make some modifications.
- After that, hit “Allow”.
- In the end, click “Apply” as it will save the changes and press “OK”.
Situation 4: If the Company File is Already Accessed by a Distant OS and the Host System is Signed in
- The foremost step is to right-tap on “Taskbar” & choose “Task Manager”.
- After that go to the “Processes” option.
- Then, you need to verify if the background process running contains the same username you have issues with.
- In case, you find any process running under a similar user name, then you need to restart the PC.
We believe that this post contains all solutions to Quickbooks error 6073 that you were eagerly searching for. The above-described troubleshooting techniques will help you kick out this troublesome error.
However, if you are still bothered by some other technical errors then you may contact Quickbooks Customer Support for more guidance. The dedicated team is 24*7 ready to assist you with any doubts or queries. You can directly call the team on the toll-free number or send your query through email.
If you have any important tips/thoughts to share then write them in the comments section below to motivate us.